BLOOMINGTON — Five students from Brown County will face off against dozens of others from south-central Indiana at the Scripps Regional Spelling Bee, Saturday, Feb. 10 at the Monroe County Public Library. The event is free and open to the public.
Spellers can come from elementary, intermediate, middle or junior high schools, up to the eighth grade. Local spellers are:
- Nathan Crenshaw, Brown County Intermediate School, Grade 6
- Samantha Smith, Brown County Junior High School, Grade 8
- Jessica Blevins, Helmsburg Elementary, Grade 3
- Rosalyn McGrayel, Sprunica Elementary School, Grade 4
- Alayna Jacobus, Van Buren Elementary School, Grade 4
Smith and McGrayel also competed at the 2017 regional bee, and Crenshaw and Jacobus competed at the 2016 regional bee.
The winner is awarded a trip to the National Spelling Bee semifinals and championship finals May 27 to June 1 in National Harbor, Maryland.
In addition to spelling out loud on stage, students will take a written vocabulary test. To try that test, visit spellingbee.com/take-test.