The annual Winter in the Woods celebration in Brown County can help warm the weekend and dispel cabin fever blues.
Participants can choose from one or more of 10 activities, including indoor and outdoor exercise, swing dancing, tea and spirit samplings, birding, crafting and a progressive five-course dinner.
Registration ahead of time is recommended for some activities. Links to all of the event pages can be found at winterinthewoods.com.
Story continues below gallery
Friday, Jan. 12
- 7:30 p.m. The Winter Bliss retreat at Abe Martin Lodge in Brown County State Park. Course listings include Laughter Yoga, NIA (mind/body physical conditioning), Creating a Personal Mandala, Drumming as a Spiritual Practice, Sound Healing and others, $65 per day to $115 for the entire weekend, food and lodging extra. Registration: eventbrite.com/e/winterbliss-wellness-retreat-2018-tickets-39381977555, email Ingrid Skoog at email@example.com or call her at 812-333-1982.
Saturday, Jan. 13
- Winter Bliss retreat continues.
- 9 a.m. Tea and Yoga at Simply Fitness, 59 E. Main St. Easy 30-minute session of movement followed by Sweetea’s tea sampling, $10. Registration: squareup.com/store/simply-fitness or 812-343-3560.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Winter Hike, begins and ends at the Nature Center in Brown County State Park. Includes scorecard and map with points in the park to visit for alpha-numeric codes, each worth points, $5. Prizes presented at 4 p.m. include a 2018 Indiana parks pass, don’t have to be present to win. Registration: 812-988-5240.
- 9:30 to 11 a.m. Birding on Salt Creek Trail, starts at new Visitors Center, 211 S. Van Buren St. Includes coffee and breakfast pastries, guided walk for all ages on 3/4-mile trail, $5. Registration: browncounty.com/store or 812-988-7303 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 1 p.m. Frosty Trails 5 Mile run/walk, starts and ends at the new Recreation Building near the Rally Campground parking lot in Brown County State Park. Includes a fire, hot food and drinks inside after race, $30. Online registration accepted until 5 p.m. Jan. 11, late registration on race day offered from 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. at Recreation Building. Registration: signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/123116 or 812-988-9622.
1 to 5 p.m. Sippin’ Trip Tour, for adults 21 and older, ID required. Includes bus transportation by Nashville General Express to Brown County Winery, Bear Wallow Distillery and Hard Truth Distillery, walk to Chateau Thomas Winery, four to six samples at each location, tours, bottle of water, small snack, souvenir and trip booklet, $45. Registration: browncounty.com/tours or 812-988-7303.
- 5 to 9 p.m. Feasting in the Woods, begins and ends at Seasons Lodge, 560 State Road 46 East. Five-course progressive dinner through Nashville includes bus transportation to Hard Truth Hills distillery, appetizers at Bird’s Nest Cafe, soup and salad at Artists Colony Inn, and main course, two sides and homemade desserts at Seasons Lodge, $80. Registration: 812-988-7303.
- 6 to 9 p.m. The Bourbon Experience at Bear Wallow Distillery in Gnaw Bone, for adults 21 and older. Includes the history of bourbon, an extensive tour of the distillery, a bourbon-themed dinner, a cocktail and samples, $50 per person. Registration: bearwallowdistillery.com or 812-657-4923.
Sunday, Jan. 14
- Winter Bliss retreat continues until 5:30 p.m.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Yoga on Tap upstairs at Big Woods Village, 44 N. Van Buren St., for adults 21 and older. Includes 90-minute yoga session followed by a pint of Big Woods beer of choice, $20. Registration: browncounty.com/store or 317-431-4967.
- 2 to 4 p.m. Deep Forest De-Stress at Bird’s Nest Cafe, 36 W. Franklin St. Includes fireside crafts, art, aromatherapy, relaxation, tea samples, free.
- 4 to 9 p.m. Swingin’ in the Woods at Out of the Ordinary, 61 S. Van Buren St. Includes one appetizer, one-hour swing dance lesson at 4:30 p.m., reserved seating, door prize drawings, photo booth, open dance floor after 5:30 p.m., $10, cocktails sold separately. Registration: squareup.com/store/brown-county-visitors-center or 812-988-7303.
Monday, Jan. 15
- 9:30 to 11 a.m. Birding on Salt Creek Trail starts at Visitors Center, 211 S. Van Buren St. Includes coffee and breakfast pastries, guided walk for all ages on three-quarter-mile trail, $5. Registration: browncounty.com/store or 812-988-7303.