Flue fire caused by blocked chimney, buildup


HAMBLEN TWP. — A fire at a home on Gatesville Road the afternoon of Jan. 4 was caused by creosote buildup, firefighters said.

New owners had just bought the home in the 2200 block, said Hamblen Township volunteer fire department Chief Arlan Pierce. The fire started in a fireplace insert, which had been covered up when the previous owners remodeled the fireplace with Brown County stone.

Pierce said the new owners had someone clean out the chimney, but that person was unable to find the fireplace insert. The couple said they were not sure how to clean out the fireplace insert and decided to start a fire when it was cold, he said.

The fire was contained to the flue, with no damage to inside or outside of the home.

Firefighters had trouble accessing the home because a creek came before it, and the bridge over it was made out of a flatbed trailer, Pierce said. Firefighters opted to drive through the creek instead, and the truck Pierce was driving received damage to the back bumper.

Nashville and Cordry-Sweetwater volunteer fire departments assisted.

Crews were able to exit the scene through a field.

Author photo
Suzannah Couch grew up in Brown County, reading the Brown County Democrat. A 2013 Franklin College graduate, she covers business, cops/courts, education and arts/entertainment.