For a 10th year, crowds of chocolate lovers will descend on downtown Nashville to gather treats, guilt-free.
That’s because the Chocolate Walk is a benefit for the Brown County Humane Society, and the money it raises helps find new homes for more than 95 percent of its strays.
Thirty-three Nashville businesses will become Chocolate Walk stops Saturday, Nov. 11. At each stop, ticket holders will be able to gather a different chocolate treat to eat.
The Chocolate Walk continues to be a major fundraiser for the 51-year-old humane society, which needs $31,000 per month to operate.
In the past 10 years, the event has brought in $207,847, said humane society Treasurer Jane Weatherford.
Chocolate Walk proceeds cover just shy of a month’s worth of expenses, she said.
Last year, the shelter took in more than 700 homeless pets. About 53 percent of stray dogs are reunited with their owners; only about 5 percent of cats are, the society reports.
To help reduce the number of unwanted animals coming into the shelter, the local humane society started the S.P.O.T. program several years ago. It provides spay/neuter services for as little as $1.
All businesses participating in the Chocolate Walk donate their time and the chocolates they serve. Some offer discounts on merchandise to Chocolate Walk participants.
Rides on the Nashville Express train will be free to Chocolate Walkers that day.
Tickets for this event often sell out before it starts — all 1,250 of them. They cost $20 per person until Nov. 1, when the price goes up to $25.
Find a ticket purchase link at bchumane.org/chocolate-walk.
1. Brown County Art Gallery. (Pick up prepurchased tickets here starting at 10 a.m.) Guest chocolatier at this stop: The Abe Martin Lodge.
2. Touch of Silver, Gold & Old
3. The Back Porch
4. Nashville Spice Company
5. Brown County Humane Society (on the courthouse lawn)
6. The Woodlands Gallery
7. The Educated Otter
8. Fables and Fairytales
9. Nashville Candy Store
10. Artists Colony Inn & Restaurant
11. Kiss the Cook
12. Dawn’s Nashville House of Jerky
13. Wishful Thinking
14. Nashville General Store and Bakery
15. Casa del Sol
16. Bone Appetit Bakery
17. Nashville Fidge Kitchen
18. Brown County Visitors Center. Guest chocolatier at this stop: Bear Wallow Distillery
19. Sweetea’s Tea Shoppe
20. The Chocolate Moose
21. 4th Sister Vintage
22. Jack & Jill Nut Shop
23. Brown County Playhouse Performing Arts Center
24. The Hobnob Corner Restaurant
25. The Wild Oliver
26. The Candy Emporium
27. Gnaw Bone Bakery & Country Store (at the Village Green Pavilion)
28. Brozinni Pizzeria
29. Common Grounds Coffee Bar & Tea Shoppe
30. Carmel Corn Cottage
31. Brown County Historical Society
32. Friends of the Brown County Public Library
33. Brown County IGA