NORTH POLE, Alaska — A fire at a North Pole mobile home spread and destroyed a second home.
Alaska State Troopers say the incident Monday night began when a fire in a fire pit inside a mobile home ignited a couch.
Troopers say 26-year-old Lafon Charlie unsuccessfully tried to extinguish the fire and suffered burns. Charlie was able to escape and was transported to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital for treatment.
The fire spread to a neighboring mobile home.
Bystanders helped an elderly woman leave the second home and she was not injured.
Both mobiles homes were a total loss.