LAS VEGAS — The Latest on the mass shooting in Las Vegas (all times local):
A tribute to last week’s mass shooting victims preceded the Vegas Golden Knights opener against the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday.
Members of the Golden Knights organization accompanied 26 first-responders onto the ice. Eight nurses, seven firefighters, six police officers, three paramedics and two doctors were recognized before the debut of the city’s first major league professional sports franchise.
A gunman opened fire on a country music festival on Oct. 1, killing 58 and wounding nearly 500. Hospitals were overflowing with victims and many tales of heroism have arisen from the chaos.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said it was “an honor and a privilege” to be in the city that has banded together in solidarity after the attack.
The more than $10.4 million that has been donated to help victims of the shooting at a Las Vegas music festival will be administered by the attorney who has handled funds for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida.
Officials in Nevada’s Clark County on Tuesday announced Kenneth Feinberg has agreed to lead the efforts to develop a process to distribute the money. The GoFundMe account includes a $3 million donation by festival venue owner MGM Resorts International.
Feinberg has recommended establishing a committee of community leaders to develop the plan that will be used to give out the money.
The compensation czar distributed about $62 million in the aftermath of the marathon and around $29 million following the club shooting in Orlando.
A spokeswoman for the Las Vegas hotel where a gunman committed the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history is questioning the latest timeline of events provided by police.
MGM Resorts International spokeswoman Debra DeShong said Tuesday the company believes “what is currently being expressed may not be accurate.”
She didn’t elaborate, but the statement comes a day after Last Vegas police revised their chronology of events for the night of Oct. 1, when gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and killed 58 people.
Police initially said Paddock stopped firing on the crowd to shoot through his door and wound a Mandalay Bay security guard who was outside. On Monday, they said the guard actually was wounded six minutes before Paddock started the massacre.
The leader of MGM Resorts International says the company is heartbroken after a gunman opened fire on a crowd of concertgoers gathered in one of its venues in Las Vegas.
CEO Jim Murren on Tuesday made his first public appearance since 22,000 people fled the concert venue Oct. 1 while bullets flew from the Mandalay Bay hotel-casino across Las Vegas Boulevard.
Murren says the company is unwavering in its commitment to Las Vegas and has been working around the clock to do what is right and to help those in need.
Murren says he has witnessed “thousands upon thousands of humane acts” following the shooting. His remarks during a convention panel in Las Vegas did not address any details of the investigation.
The shooting left dozens dead and hundreds injured.
FBI agents returned to a house in Reno owned by Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock after local police determined someone had broken into the home over the weekend.
Reno police officer Tim Broadway confirmed Tuesday that police were called to the house early Sunday by a neighbor who noticed a light on inside the home in an upscale community on the edge of the Sierra foothills along U.S. Interstate 80.
Broadway says the officers discovered “someone had broken into the house” and immediately contacted the FBI. He says it’s not clear how the person or persons gained entry or whether anything was taken.
Broadway says they don’t have any suspects or descriptions of possible suspects. He told The Associated Press, “Nobody really saw anything, just a light was on with nobody in the residence.”
He says local police are working in conjunction with the FBI to make sure no one else enters the home.
The daughter of a woman injured during the Las Vegas shooting says she’s confused about why police have changed the timeline involving the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Nicole Rapp said Tuesday she’s “having a hard time wrapping my head around” the change announced by police a day earlier. Her mother was trampled by a stampede of concertgoers as bullets rained from the nearby Mandalay Bay hotel and casino.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said Monday Stephen Paddock shot and wounded a Mandalay Bay security guard outside his door and sprayed 200 bullets down the hall six minutes before shooting at the concert-goers.
Police previously said Paddock shot the guard after unleashing the barrage of gunfire on the crowd.
Rapp says it is traumatic for the victims and their families not to be sure of what happened.
A Las Vegas security guard who was shot in the head while helping concert-goers flee the recent mass shooting will be laid to rest on Thursday.
Officials say services are planned for 21-year-old Erick Silva this week.
Jay Purves, the vice president of Contemporary Services Corporation’s Las Vegas branch, said the funeral for his employee will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at Davis Funeral Homes and Memorial Park in Las Vegas.
Silva was shot while helping people climb over a barricade.
He was among the 58 people killed Oct. 1 by Stephen Paddock, who was perched in a casino hotel tower when he unleashed more than 1,000 bullets onto a crowd of country music fans below at an outdoor festival on the Las Vegas Strip.
A top Las Vegas police official is defending changes in the timeline of a mass shooting from a high-rise hotel that killed 58 people and wounded nearly 500 at a country music festival more than a week ago.
Assistant Clark County Sheriff Todd Fasulo told The Associated Press on Tuesday that dozens of investigators are using multiple sources of information including surveillance video, computers, police body-worn cameras, cellphones, interviews and people’s perceptions.
Fasulo says not all clocks are in sync with each other.
Sheriff Joe Lombardo on Monday changed the timeline, telling reporters that a hotel security guard was shot just before 10 p.m. Oct. 1, and that shooter Stephen Paddock then spent 10 minutes shooting into a concert crowd before killing himself.
The sheriff says officers arrived a short time later.
Fasulo says police got to Paddock’s 32nd floor room as fast as they possibly could.
More than a week after the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, investigators are still stumped about what led a high-stakes gambler to kill 58 people and wound hundreds of others at a country music concert.
It’s an answer they may never find.
The FBI and Las Vegas police have sorted through more than a thousand leads and examined Stephen Paddock’s politics, finances and social behavior. But the typical investigative avenues that have previously helped uncover motives in past shootings have yielded few clues.
Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler and hostage negotiator, says in not leaving behind an easily accessible manifesto, Paddock defied societal expectations that mass murderers will want their disturbed motives known to the world.