GRIFFIN, Ga. — A fatal house fire in Spalding County has been ruled accidental.

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens, in a news release, says Saturday’s fire was caused by careless smoking.

The blaze claimed the life of 44-year-old Christie Lewis. Her son, 6-year-old Zachary Sevenstar, was severely injured and is being treated at the burn center in Augusta.

Hudgens says investigators revealed that improper discarding of a cigarette into a trash can started the fire, which was reported about 9:30 a.m.

The death brings Georgia’s fire fatality total to 65 for 2017.


This story has been corrected to fix spelling of Spalding throughout.

SHARE
Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.