Education briefs for week of July 19

Register for beginning Quick Books class

A beginning Quick Books class will be offered at the Brown County Career Resource Center from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, Aug. 1 to 3.

For more information or to register, call the CRC at 812-988-5880.

Discounts offered for multiple class enrollments

The Brown County Career Resource Center offers discounts for multiple enrollments or for friends who enroll in classes at the same time. The discount does not apply to Ivy Tech classes.

For more information, call the CRC at 812-988-5880.

Sign Language classes available

American Sign Language classes are offered at the Brown County Career Resource Center. New classes will begin in the fall as interest dictates. Call the CRC at 812-988-5880 for more information.

Nursing assistant class series planned in fall

Certified nursing assistant classes are offered periodically at the Brown County Career Resource Center, depending on interest. The next class is planned for fall.

For more information or to register, call 812-988-5880.

Computer support training certificate offered

A+ Computer Support Specialist Class (A+ Certification) is offered at the Brown County Career Resource Center depending on interest level. Call the CRC at 812-988-5880 for more information or to register.

High school equivalency class times set each week

Classes focused on the high school equivalency assessment exam — formerly called GED classes — are taught year-round from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Brown County Career Resource Center, 246 E. Main St.

Students who cannot attend then can arrange instruction by appointment or by distance learning.

People enrolled in adult education may be eligible for free job training through Work One.

For more information, call 812-988-5880.

Hoosiers can visit attractions for lower cost

Low-income Indiana families can use the Access Pass program to visit nine attractions in Bloomington, Indianapolis and Terre Haute for a reduced rate.

The pass works at Conner Prairie, the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, the Indiana Historical Society, the Indiana State Museum, the Indianapolis Museum of Art, the NCAA Hall of Champions, the Terre Haute Children’s Museum, the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis and Wonderlab Museum in Bloomington.

To get an Access Pass, a person in your immediate household must be enrolled in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Hoosier Healthwise Insurance, SNAP or Hoosier Works. With a pass, the cost to visit each location is $2 per family member per visit, for up to two adults and dependent youth living in the household.

Documents are required to prove eligibility. Some documents can be accessed at Click on “Check Status/Print Proof of Your Eligibility.” An Indiana-issued photo ID also is required.

To enroll in or renew an existing Access Pass, visit any of the participating venues.

Volunteer reading tutors sought for summer

The Brown County Literacy Coalition is seeking volunteer tutors to read during summer with elementary school children in first through third grades. Tutors can meet with their students at the Brown County Public Library.

For more information, call 949-235-2171, email or visit

High school exchange student hosts wanted

PAX, Program of Academic Exchange, a nonprofit, educational organization, places international high school foreign exchange students from 70 European, South American, Asian or African countries in homes across America.

The group is seeking families who live in the Brown County area as volunteer hosts. Students ages 15 to 18 who have studied English for at least three years will arrive in the United States in August. They are covered by comprehensive medical insurance and have their own spending money for incidentals.

Volunteer host families provide PAX students with a bed, a quiet place to study, a seat at the dining table, a supportive home environment and encouragement to engage in everyday American life. All types of families, including single parents, are welcome to host.

For more information, visit, email or call Sabrina Hickey at 317-495-4024.

Learn to sign with your baby or toddler

Free sign language classes for babies or toddlers and their parents are available in Brown County. To sign up, call Lisa at 812-320-3507.

Small-business counseling available for free

The Brown County Career Resource Center, 246 E. Main St., offers individual small-business counseling sessions through the Service Corps of Retired Executives.

There is no charge for the sessions, which meet in the morning on the first Thursday of every month. An appointment is required.

For more information or to register, call 812-988-5880.