Police: Man grabbed ex, threatened suicide

A former Brown County man faces multiple charges after police say he entered a home where a former girlfriend was staying, grabbed her and threatened to kill himself if she called the police.

Winford E. Moore III, 24, Columbus, was arrested after police found him in a gas station bathroom with prescription pills.

The police had been searching for him after responding to a report of a physical domestic situation on Coffey Hill Road May 26, according to a probable cause affidavit by Nashville Police Officer Keith Lawson.

The victim told police she was asleep on a couch and woke up to find Moore, her former boyfriend, standing over the top of her. The woman said she had been staying at the house to get away from Moore, because they had recently broken up, the affidavit states.

Moore grabbed her by the arm, picked her up off the couch, called her profanities and told her to come outside with him. He told her that if she called the police, he would kill himself, the report said.

He took her outside to his car, and they began arguing. Moore pulled out one of his pocket knives and made a cutting motion to his arm. He said that if she got out of the car or called 911 he would kill himself in front of her, the report said.

The woman stayed in the car. She said Moore then pulled syringes out and began injecting himself with heroin. He said the plan was to inject himself with enough heroin to kill himself and that it was her fault he was doing it, the affidavit said.

She was finally able to get out of the car and call 911 and Moore drove off, the report said.

Nashville Police Chief Ben Seastrom found Moore’s vehicle at a gas station in town and him in a locked restroom.

Lawson reported finding two types of prescription painkillers on Moore. The officer wrote that Moore was jittery and couldn’t focus on questions.

Moore denied grabbing the victim and said he would never hurt her. He told police he wanted to die if he didn’t have her in his life.

He was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital for a medical and mental health screening.

Moore told officers during the hospital trip that he had stopped using heroin for seven months, but picked the habit up again after his relationship ended, according to the probable cause affidavit.

He was charged May 30 with residential entry, a Level 6 felony; domestic battery, a Class A misdemeanor; and two counts of possession of a controlled substance, Class A misdemeanors.