BEAN BLOSSOM — Two small bridges on State Road 135 North south of Railroad Road will close Monday, April 3 and be closed until around the beginning of August.
Brown County Commissioner Diana Biddle said these will be the first of seven State Road 135 bridges the Indiana Department of Transportation will work on this year in Morgan, Brown and Jackson counties.
She said INDOT plans to have these first two open by the time school restarts in August “if there are no unforeseen issues.”
The local detour options southbound on 135 are to take Railroad Road to State Road 45 back to State Road 135, or to take Spearsville Road in Johnson County, Biddle said. Railroad Road and part of Spearsville Road were paved last year in anticipation of this bridge work, she said.
Northbound drivers can get onto State Road 45 at Bean Blossom and pick up Railroad Road just over the tracks in the Helmsburg area. Railroad Road ends on 135 north of the bridge work.
Two bridges on 135 North in Morgan County also will close later this year and require detours into Brown County. Biddle said the current timeline is to have those closed from August to the end of October or mid-November.
The detour to get around them is expected to use Lick Creek and Three Story Hill roads, according to a rough map that Brown County Highway Superintendent Mike Magner showed the county commissioners early this month.
Biddle said INDOT will post official detour signs — which use state roads — for trucks to follow. Tourists and all other local traffic can follow local detour signs which also will be posted, she said.
Biddle said anyone not familiar with the back roads can stop by the Brown County auditor’s office in the County Office Building and buy a new county road map for $2. She said she might end up making copies of where detours will be and handing them out in the northern Brown County area as an extra precaution.
Biddle didn’t have definite dates yet on when two bridges south of Story would close, but INDOT also expected them to be worked on this spring.
Here’s the list of all State Road 135 bridges INDOT will repair or replace on this year:
- State Road 135 over Bear Creek, 1.26 miles south of State Road 252. The 60-foot concrete arch bridge will get new rails, walls and a deck.
- State Road 135 over a branch of Bear Creek, south of Morgantown at Farm Road. The highway will be closed for for up to 30 days while crews remove the existing drainage structure and install a four-sided concrete box culvert. To maintain residential access, Farm Road’s junction with 135 will be moved to just south of the culvert site.
- State Road 135 over Little Beanblossom Creek, 1.7 miles north of State Road 45. The bridge over the creek will get new railings, walls and a bridge deck.
- State Road 135 over Moser Branch, 1.57 miles north of State Road 45. The contract calls for new rails and a deck on the 36-foot arch bridge.
- State Road 135 over Hamilton Creek, 9.45 miles north of State Road 58. The 92-foot-long bridge will receive a new deck overlay.
- State Road 135 over a branch of Hamilton Creek, 7.6 miles north of State Road 58, east of Christianburg Road. Culvert replacement was planned to begin in early April.
- State Road 135 over a branch of the south fork of Salt Creek, 5.2 miles north of U.S. 50 and south of S.R. 500 North near Freetown. A new concrete box culvert will be put in place. Work was planned to begin in mid-May.