Investigators: Death likely due to drug overdose

PEOGA — A Brown County man likely died from a drug overdose on New Year’s Eve, Brown County officers and the coroner said.

At around 6 p.m. Dec. 31, police were called to do a welfare check at a home in the 6100 block of Beech Tree Road.

When Brown County Sheriff’s Deputy Paul Henderson and Deputy Jim Green arrived, they were met by a woman who said her son, Michael “Edwin” O’Harra, 38, was not answering the phone or door, according to a police report.

Henderson was able to enter the home through an unlocked window. He reported seeing O’Harra face down on the floor.

Dogs in the home would not allow Henderson to get close to the body, the report said. An Animal Control officer was called to secure the dogs.

Piper said O’Harra was found near a couch in the living room and it looked as if he knocked over a trash can when he fell.

He estimated O’Harra had been dead for about 18 hours.

“Due to the circumstances that were found, it was preliminarily discussed that Edwin most likely died of a drug overdose,” the report said. “The final determination will be pending a toxicology report.”

Details on the “circumstances” were not in the police report, which had been partially redacted.

Piper said a syringe with a substance in it was found in O’Harra’s hand.

He said toxicology test results probably won’t be available until the end of the month.

O’Harra is survived by his parents, four children and a fiancée, according to his obituary.

SHARE
Author photo
Suzannah Couch grew up in Brown County, reading the Brown County Democrat. A 2013 Franklin College graduate, she covers business, cops/courts, education and arts/entertainment.