SACRAMENTO, Calif. — City officials are refusing to release additional video footage in the shooting death of a homeless man in Sacramento this summer.
The Sacramento Police Department previously distributed portions of dash-cam video showing the moments before two officers shot 50-year-old Joseph Mann on July 11.
With enhanced audio, the officers are heard swearing at Mann and saying “I’m gonna hit him” and “OK, go for it” before driving their cruiser at him. They followed on foot and shot him 14 times.
The city on Friday denied a public records request filed by The Associated Press seeking the full, unedited video, citing ongoing investigations.
The officers’ attorney, Judith Odbert, says at least one portion of the released exchange has been taken out of context. She says the officers were protecting the public.