RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina government’s formal intervention to help Charlotte investigate a fatal police shooting and keep the peace following violent protests has cost $1.7 million so far.
Gov. Pat McCrory disclosed the figure at Tuesday’s meeting of the Council of State, comprised of statewide elected officials. McCrory says the amount covered bringing in state troopers and North Carolina National Guard members to Charlotte, as well as the State Bureau of Investigation. The SBI is reviewing the Sept. 20 shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer.
The guard and Highway Patrol came to Charlotte as a state of emergency was declared. McCrory says they provided extra security for roads and buildings so police officers could do their job. The emergency was lifted last week.