KINSHASA, Congo — Congo’s electoral commission president says a national election, originally scheduled for November this year, will likely take place at the end of 2018 — a two-year delay likely to cause more unrest in the tense central African nation.
Corneille Nangaa said Saturday that voter registration lists won’t be ready until July 2017 and the commission then needs 504 days to organize the vote. His comments come after dozens died last week in Kinshasa after security forces clashed with anti-government demonstrators opposed to a vote delay.
President Joseph Kabila’s political future has been a source of tension. His mandate was supposed to end in December. Opposition leaders accuse him of delaying elections to keep power.
A high court has said Kabila can stay in office until a new leader is elected.