FREDERICK, Md. — A Maryland county’s public transit agency says it has taken all its electric buses out of service after a fire linked to the battery pack on one of the vehicles.
TransIT Services of Frederick County spokeswoman Kendall Tiffany said Thursday that the manufacturer is inspecting all five electric vehicles in the fleet.
She says the fire Tuesday in Frederick was contained in the lithium-ion battery pack on the roof. No passengers were aboard.
Lithium-ion batteries have been linked to fires in some smartphones and hoverboards, and aboard several cargo jets.
The agency put the buses in service in May after buying them from Complete Coach Works of Riverside, California.
Company spokeswoman Celeste Casas said there are indications that the fire was caused by a loose cable not a battery failure.