Notice of Public Hearing on May 23, 2016, 6:30 PM
Brown County Intermediate School, 260 School House Lane, Nashville, Indiana
On May 23, 2016 at 6:30 p.m., the Board of School Trustees of the Brown County Schools will meet to discuss and hear objections to and support for a proposed Superintendent contract for Dr. Laura Hammack. A summary of the proposed contract is as follows:
- Base Annual Salary: $125,000.00.
- Evaluation and Performance Pay: The Board will evaluate the Superintendent annually. Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year and each Contract year thereafter, if the Superintendent is evaluated as highly effective or effective and achieves the annual performance objectives established by the Board for the Contract year, then the Board may (but is not required) in its sole discretion to increase the Superintendent’s base salary between $1.00 and $10,000.00 and/or may award a one-time performance pay stipend in an amount between $1.00 and $10,000.00.
- Contract term: July 1, 2016 and concluding on June 30, 2021. The term is automatically extended one (1) school year on July 1, 2017, and then each successive July 1 thereafter, unless a party gives the other written notice on or before the preceding January 1 that the party does not agree to the automatic extension.
- Contract Days, Vacation Days, Personal Days and Sick Days: A work year of two hundred sixty (260) days inclusive of a minimal annual entitlement of twenty (20) vacation days, three (3) personal leave days, and twelve (12) sick leave days. Sick leave days accumulate up to a maximum of 90 total days.
- Transferred Sick Leave Days: The Superintendent may transfer all sick leave accumulated in her prior employment (152 days). Seventy-eight (78) of the days will be placed in the Superintendent’s Brown County Sick Leave Bank. The remaining 74 days will be placed in a Catastrophic Sick Leave Bank and are available for use only for personal illness or family illness. Unused sick leave days in the Catastrophic Sick Leave Bank have no cash value at the end of the Superintendent’s employment.
- Other Leave: The Superintendent is granted any paid and unpaid leave that is required by state or federal law or is authorized by the Board’s policies, including the Board’s recognized legal holidays each school year.
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance: The Board pays additional salary in a sum which is computed to be the total cost of coverage of the Superintendent and her eligible dependents by group health, dental and vision coverage offered by the Board to its certificated administrative employees. The total current premium for group health is $14,993.47, for dental is $915.00 and for vision is $99.00. The amounts paid are reported to the Indiana State Teacher Retirement Fund for purposes of calculating the Superintendent’s retirement benefit.
- Term Life Insurance: A term life insurance policy is provided with a face value equal to $250,000.00. the Superintendent contributes $1.00 annually toward the cost of the premium. The current annual premium cost is $390.00.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: Long term disability benefits provided under the same terms and conditions as all other administrators. The Board pays all but $1.00 of the cost of the premium. The current annual premium cost is $350.00.
- ISTRF Employee Contribution: The Board makes the Superintendent’s contribution to the Indiana State Teacher’s Retirement Fund.
- Annuity: The Corporation pays an additional salary amount of $20,000.00, which the Superintendent may, but need not, elect to be contributed to an Internal Revenue Code Section 403(b) plan for each year of employment for the Superintendent. This amount is reported to the Indiana State Teacher Retirement Fund for purposes of calculating the Superintendent’s retirement benefit.
- Mileage Reimbursement and Travel Allowance: The Board reimburses the Superintendent for mileage associated with business travel using her personal vehicle at the standard rate approved by the Internal Revenue Service. Use of a School owned vehicle is also available to the Superintendent for business travel.
- Cellular Phone: The Superintendent must maintain a cellular phone with e-mail capabilities for business purposes. The Board pays to the Superintendent an annual stipend in accordance with the Administrator Handbook, which is currently $1,080.00.Business and Professional Expenses: The Board pays the cost of membership and participation in State and National professional associations of educational administrators, and expenses related to the Superintendent’s attendance at conferences and activities. The Board reimburses the Superintendent for any other reasonable business and professional expenses.
- Other Benefits: The Superintendent is granted all other benefits established by the Board for all other administrative employees and teachers of the School Corporation.
- Indemnification: The School Corporation will defend, hold harmless and indemnify the Superintendent in legal actions involving incidents in which the Superintendent was legally acting within the scope of her employment.
- Language that provides for two ways in which the Superintendent’s contract may be terminated prior to the end of its term.
The complete proposed contract of the Superintendent will be available on the Brown County School’s website and will be presented at the May 23, 2016 public hearing. The Board will vote on the proposed contract at a public meeting on May 31, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. at the Brown County Intermediate School.
31887611 5/11, 18, 2016 hspaxlp 16-116